C;/ problems

sotkdaveallen
    New User

Number of posts : 17
    Registration date : 2009-01-06

C;/ problems

Post by sotkdaveallen on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi guys

i cant delete any decks tops icons this is the message i get any help would be great.Im on a HP laptop runing vista.
    [img][/img]

thanks in advance

dave
    Placehold
    TWS Manager
    TWS Manager

Number of posts : 730
    Registration date : 2008-04-15
    Computer Specs : Windows Vista home premium :: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU
    Additional Specs : T7250 @ 2.00GHz :: 4.00 GD RAM :: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT

Re: C;/ problems

Post by Placehold on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm

This is a problem with privileges, If you are not the administrator of your laptop or there is another account higher than yourself then you may not have full control over ALL folder, files and programs on your laptop.

Are you trying to delete icons such as the recycle bin or icons that have been placed there by installed programs?

In order for you to gain access to the folder you can follow the next procedure

1. Right click the icon you want to remove

2. Select the "Properties" option

3. Once the properties window appears select the "Security tab"

4. Select the "Advanced" tab at the bottom of the window

5. A new window will appear called "Advanced Security Settings For ......", Select the "Owner" tab and then "Edit" at the bottom

6. In the Owner window, click on Other users or groups

7. Type the user name or the group of users that will take ownership of the selected folder.

If you type "Administrators" you will give ownership to all the users that are administrators on your PC. If you want to give ownership only to your user, then type your user name.

8. Select "Check names" If your username or group was found on the PC and are correct then those details will be changed into the following format's

[Your PC Name]\[User] or [Your PC Name]\[Group]

9. Press Ok

10. In the owners window select the group/username you entered, check the "Replace Owner" box at the bottom and select Ok

11. Press Ok when prompted

12. Close all windows, Right click the icon and select properties again.

13. Select the security tab and then select "Edit" half way down the window.

14. Select your username/user group and make sure that the "Full Control" check box is ticked, Press Ok

You should hopefully now be able to edit and/or remove the icon from the desktop, If not have the administrator add more rights to your account. 😁

Regards

Craig

c:/ problems

Post by sotkdaveallen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:33 am

Hi

Im the only account on my laptop, i can unistall any program but the deck top icon i cant, when i try the picture i post is the messafe i get.

cheers

Dave
    Placehold
    TWS Manager
    TWS Manager

Post by Placehold on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:47 am

Have you had this issue previously?
    Also have you installed or updated anything of late?

You may want to try revert to previous point using vista restore before this happened if you haven't had this issue previously

1. Click on Start and select all programs

2. Select Accessories

3. Click once on System Tools

4. Select the System Restore icon

5. This part can take about 5 - 10 minutes to load however once it does you should be at the System Restore screen

6. The check box for Recommended restore should be selected already,
    This will be the last known best configuration or the last time you updated

7. If this point is ok select Next, if not (b) Select Choose A Different restore Point and press Next

7(b). Select a new restore point from the list shown on the screen and press next again.

8. Select Finish and select Yes when promoted, This will simply restore your settings to before the issue began,

***Note*** This will not delete, remove or alter any documents, images, audio files or videos, The restore point only affects the settings.

9. Once completed the computer will restart itself and normally takes 5 - 10 minutes to load from this point

Once you have reached your desktop a message will appear telling you that the restore has completed, This should however be used as a last resort, please try the first solution before performing the restore

Regards

Craig

C:/

Post by sotkdaveallen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:42 am

I try that but it didnt work unless theres a date i cant find. Ive had no up dates that i can remember.

Ive never come across this problem at all.
    Placehold
    TWS Manager
    TWS Manager

Post by Placehold on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:55 am

Ok One more question lol

Does that error message appear for any other icons you try to delete?
    I ask this as i remember this being an issue where the path to the icon, file or folder was a dummy placed there by a virus

Now it may not be the case but i must know, Try to delete other icons on your desktop, then try to delete a blank notepad or file from the desktop, Let me know either way if it gives you the error message or not for other items

regards

Craig

Post by sotkdaveallen on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:55 am

problem solved hard drive crash lol blue screen of death. replaced hard drive works fine now
    sotkdaveallen
    New User

Post by sotkdaveallen on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:56 am

problem solved hard drive crash lol blue screen of death. replaced hard drive works fine now

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:52 am